24 Jun How to Choose Flooring for a Kitchen Remodel
Choosing a kitchen floor can be challenging, and it can be hard to determine where to start. With a wide range of options on the market, deciding on the look, feel and durability of your flooring will take some time and careful consideration. The best flooring for kitchen areas will reflect your lifestyle preferences and sense of style while being easy to clean, giving you a sense of comfort and staying within your budget.
Critical Criteria of Kitchen Flooring
Your kitchen is a social space where you prepare meals, gather friends and family and sometimes make messes. This space should be able to handle whatever you throw at it while still being functional and safe. Determine what aspects of your floor are most important to you and which flooring types will meet those needs.
Consider the following criteria before deciding on your kitchen flooring:
- Durability: Naturally, people invest in remodeling because they want a beautiful look that will last. Your floor might endure fallen pots or pans, footprints and hot messes. You must find a durable floor that can hold up against this kind of wear.
- Water resistance: Because people tend to handle water and other liquids in their kitchens, it’s important to consider water resistance. Choosing a water-resistant floor will help keep your floor looking pristine and lasting longer because it won’t absorb moisture that can damage it.
- Safety: As with any room in your home, you want to ensure your safety and the safety of your family and loved ones. For example, you don’t want to slip or slide as you walk past your hot stove with socks on. You should feel confident that you can navigate the space without harming yourself or someone else.
The Best Kitchen Flooring Options
At the start of your remodeling journey, you’ll need to compare different kitchen flooring types and weigh the pros and cons of each for your home. There is a wide range of options, though some will be more durable, aesthetically pleasing and long-lasting than others.
Hardwood flooring is a popular choice for many homeowners because it’s durable, easy to clean and has a natural beauty. These floors can increase your home’s value, and their versatile nature makes them easy to style again and again if your preferences change in the future.
You can save money on your floors by refinishing them instead of replacing them, and you still get a timeless look that brings your kitchen together.
If you’re interested in tile flooring, you can choose between mosaic, ceramic and porcelain. Porcelain tiles are durable and resistant to stains, mildew and mold while being easy to clean. You can find environmentally friendly options, and these tiles reflect light, meaning they can open up your space visually.
Although many people confuse ceramic and porcelain, they have some key differences:
- Ceramic: Ceramic tiles are a classic look for kitchens and are a great option for backsplashes and walls. They offer versatility and affordability because they can create unique accents and display lovely patterns or designs. There’s a very diverse selection of unique ceramic options available in 3D shapes and stunning colors.
- Porcelain: Porcelain tiles are the easiest floor to maintain in kitchen spaces because they’re easy to clean, durable and their color will retain over time. Additionally, porcelain is designed to achieve the look of wood, metal, subway tiles, concrete, stone and more, giving you nearly endless options for interior design.
Vinyl is a type of flooring that is easy to maintain, waterproof and stain-resistant. This type of flooring can also be one of the most affordable options while still giving you the possibility to design an elegant kitchen. Imaging technology can accomplish the feel of natural stone or the look of hardwood, making nearly any vision you have possible with vinyl.
Luxury vinyl from Area Flooring & Tile, Inc. is 100% waterproof, easy to maintain, resilient and beautiful. Additionally, our vinyl has a thick and highly scratch resistant wear layer that will make it last for many years to come.
Although many trends come and go, one of the most timeless kitchen styles is natural stone. With various textures and colors, you can achieve designs from contemporary to rustic. This flooring is sure to give your home a unique feel because every tile is different.
Natural stone is scratch-, stain- and heat-resistant, sanitary, long-lasting and an environmentally friendly option.
Laminate flooring is an alternative to hardwood flooring. Laminate is also comfortable to walk on. Because it’s made of a thicker material, it feels softer and warmer on your bare feet.
Although these floors are affordable, they do not perform as well with moisture. Some laminate flooring is water-resistant, but this is not the case for every type, and you should be careful where you get your flooring from if this is a concern for you. When water sits on laminate for an extended time, it can seriously damage your floor.
How to Choose Flooring for Your Kitchen
On top of the criteria above, you want to make sure your floor suits your personal needs. You want your floor to be cohesive with your home’s interior and coordinate with the rest of your kitchen. Ultimately, your flooring should be functional but still make you feel comfortable and proud of your interior.
Consider these factors to determine the best flooring for your kitchen:
- Comfort: You spend time in your kitchen throughout your day. At the very least, you probably step inside for breakfast and dinner, but you may prefer to work in your kitchen, have snacks throughout the day or prepare lunch on the weekends. With all that attention, you want to make sure your kitchen floor is comfortable to walk on. You can always add an area rug for high traffic areas such as the sink, but you should still be aware of how you feel when you walk across your floor.
- Budget: When establishing your flooring budget, you’ll need to note what other costs you need to account for. If you’re going for a complete kitchen remodel, you’ll need to set aside funds for countertops, light fixtures and cabinetry before establishing your floor budget. However, if you’re only looking to redo your floor, you can set aside as much as you’re willing to spend.
- Ease of cleaning: On top of accidental spills or splatters, your kitchen is subject to dirt, crumbs and other debris that can affect the floor. For easy cleaning, you’ll want a water-resistant material that is less prone to staining and easy to sweep or mop.
- Aesthetic: Like any other room in your home, your kitchen reflects your taste, style and personality. This space is a social area where your loved ones will gather for events, talk about life and bond over meals. Whatever flooring you choose should be functional and beautiful.
Find Your Flooring With Area Flooring & Tile, Inc.
Area Flooring & Tile, Inc. is a family-owned flooring company in Crystal Lake, Illinois. We’ve been bringing remodeling visions to reality since our start. We strive to deliver you high-quality options that reflect what matters to you. We’re committed to understanding your needs and ensuring your comfort when you make your final decision.
On top of our promise to deliver you accurate, consistent and honest information, we’re proud of our work and stand by it every time. Contact Area Flooring & Tile, Inc. for personalized attention and service for your kitchen. No project is too big or small for our team of experts.